Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Personal Weight Loss Barriers

Let’s be real for a minute. I struggle with a lot of things in a lot of different areas. Commitment doesn’t come easy to me, whether it’s in relationships, making simple plans, OR sticking to a diet and workout regiment. 

I’m one of the first people to say “ME” when asked about interest in a certain program or product and that first week, I will probably give it 110%! But when week two comes around and the excitement has  faded, goodbye resilience, hello unhealthy habits. I’ve got to be stronger than my habits. I’ve got to create NEW ones so I can get myself on track. My habits in need of breaking include but are not limited to: watching tv in bed, waking up late AND pressing snooze 4 times, skipping breakfast, wasting time, eating in the bed, drinking sweet tea and sodas, and eating lunch out instead of taking lunch to work.

Another barrier is having junk food in the house. Oh, if it’s accessible, I’m gonna eat it. I BINGE eat at night. I may be a perfect nutritious cherub during the day, but once I’m in the bed and watching TV (combo destined for failure) let the good times roll. Ooh, buttery rolls. I have a roommate and I can’t control what she buys, but I don’t eat her snacks. I eat MINE. I’ve got to make clearer and more conscious food choices about what I allow into my house. I know how limited my self control is. If I could make one bag of Ruffles Sour Cream And Chedder last a month, it would be okay. But I’m going to have that bag gone in less than a week, maybe even 24 hours.

My self doubt also stands as a barrier. I have a constant nagging feeling of “you aren’t going to stick to it, why even bother?” I think the way we see ourselves defines our success. If you see yourself as a failure, you will probably fail. It’s going to take a lot of work, motivation, and probably sounding-crazy-talking to myself in the mirror affirmations, but I hope I can finally see myself as a success and not a failure.

The last barrier is an excuse I love to use, probably my favorite excuse in the book. And that excuse is time. “I don’t have time to cook. I don’t have time to workout. I work all through the week, when am I supposed to plan, buy ingredients, and prep my meals?” This is a false but very comfortable excuse. Truth be told, I’m lazy. I’m an introvert who needs time alone to recharge. I prefer to spend my free time reading or watching tv. But I’ve got to get serious. Cooking can be as therapeutic as a good book. 


So, there they are. My personal weight loss barriers. Now it’s time to completely knock them down and go forth in this journey!

What are the barriers in your own journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Personal Weight Loss Barriers

Let’s be real for a minute. I struggle with a lot of things in a lot of different areas. Commitment doesn’t come easy to me, whether it’s ...